Sunday, February 07, 2021

Mystery


With all the Bernie mitten memes circulating the internet, I found myself thinking about mittens and remembered this poem from my years in the classroom teaching poetry. It was winter term and one second grader said, "It's cold out. Make up a poem about mittens." So I did.

Mystery

I found a mitten in the snow,
just one, just thumb and hand,
and stripes of red and green and white
around the mitten band.

I don't know how it came to be
alone and in the snow,
or where the other one might be
and how was I to know?

perhaps it from a pocket fell,
perhaps a child lost it,
perhaps it kept a snowman's hand
from getting cold and frosted.

I hung it from a bushy branch
that grew there on the lawn,
and next day when I went to look
the mitten? It was gone.
 

7 comments:

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

That's a pretty cool poem. You did well! That could turn into a picture book, btw, although, you'd have to have the mystery solved.

Karmen said...

It would make a cute picture book! I have been seeing a lot of lost gloves and mittens in the snow this winter. Where do they all go?

Pauline said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. I'm better at posing mysteries than solving them.

Karmen - They are with the single socks from the dryer :)

Tabor said...

What a peaceful and nostalgic poem!

Pauline said...

Tabor - I came across it in my papers from that time when I was looking for something else. I sometimes am astonished by what I find.

Friko said...

I am so glad that you are writing again. I’ve been here on the off-chance many a time.
The mitten poem is lovely and great fun. I wish I had your ability with making words into poems.

Hoping for more to follow, poems as well as your usual heartfelt writings.

Pauline said...

Thanks, Friko. When I was studying poetry all those years ago my mentor told me I already wrote poetry, I just used too many words!