Sunday, February 24, 2019

Thoughts On a Rainy Sunday Morning




Hide and Seek

We are all, always, going somewhere.
Whether we go in haste or with infinite patience,
we move ceaselessly,

breathing in and out
in an ever-changing environment.
Cells multiply and divide,
whether we work under the burning sun,
or sit quietly, feeling the earth turn under us.

Like a great marsh that never sleeps,
its inhabitants creating safety for themselves,
we cover ourselves with hope or worry
in a perpetually changing world
and still we are open to the sky,
to the winds that blow,
to the storms that change again
what is always changing.

12 comments:

Friko said...

Gradually, I am coming back to searching out blogs which have given me pleasure and will so again. Your words are always worth taking in, thank you for these and thank you for reminding me that Writing Down The Words is a place to cherish.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

This was a lovely poem. I love philosophical poetry. This was so reflective.

Pauline said...

Friko - I was away so long I feared none of my former readers would still be checking on me. We've always had a mutual admiration society going, you and I - yours was one of the first blogs I attended to on my return :)

Thanks, Elizabeth - sometimes the mood just strikes me :)

Tabor said...

Lovely and uplifting as always. Open...we must be open.

Pauline said...

Tabor - yes, open. I tell myself I will remember and then I write things like this to remind me :)

Unspoken said...

I like the final lines, a reminder there is something greater than us.

Pauline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pauline said...

Unspoken - there is. I don't know what to call it, most definitions seem too limited to me, but I can sense something so enormous it comforts me.

Wisewebwoman said...

Always changing. Indeed. The one great truth.
Thank you for this.

XO
WWW

Pauline said...

WWW - I know change is the one constant but I am constantly resisting it. I have to keep reminding myself.

Barb said...

I am constantly aware of change and my need to flow with the change. Sometimes, I think I'm in charge, but as I age, more and more, I accept that I'm only a leaf on the current.

Pauline said...

Ah, Barb, all of us are leaves on the current - how fortuitous that we recognize it!