Sunday, February 03, 2019

Mind Travel


A Sunday morning write assignment: describe where you'd go if you went in the directions your windows face.




The light comes in the kitchen windows in the morning
eastern light, first light, often rose colored, sometimes pure gold.
It rises in increments, sending shadows scurrying,
painting first the ring of trees that forms my horizon,
then lifting like a stage curtain to reveal the whole scene
of yard and neighborhood and known world.

I could walk east forever, never reaching the sun’s source.
Instead I’d wander the back roads of New Marlborough,
skirt the lake’s edge in the Sandisfield State Forest,
ease myself down to sit and watch the sun head south
before heading west, south to Connecticut and its valleys,
south to my old home street, where my footprints are everywhere
in the fields and woods, where the trees wait for me.

I could walk forever west, never reaching the place where the sun sinks -
sometimes orange, sometimes pale pink, sometimes trailing ribbons of scarlet.
I would find my way to Copake in New York, and the Taconic Range,
a string of mountains over which storms boil, massing purple clouds
full of thunder and furious lightning. Or, if I veered southwest, arrive in Boston Corners,
a hamlet of the town of Ancram, once a town of outlaws and gangsters
protected from the long arm of the law by a mountain barrier.

If I walked north, in the direction of cold winter winds, toward the tall pines
I see from my study window, I would reach Housatonic, named for its river, or the Egremonts, North and South, built into the hills. I could follow Route 7 through Great Barrington into Stockbridge, Lee, Lenox, through Pittsfield, Lanesborough, North Adams, walk on up through Vermont, cross the border into Canada, perhaps fall off the edge of the earth there.

My mind travels farther than my feet ever will, through unfamiliar towns,
through dark woods and light-filled meadows, across streams and brooks,
sturdy bridges and footpaths, 
down dirt roads, 
along macadam, 
into the houses of strangers and so across the landscapes of their individual minds. 
My own small world becomes the world at large, 
expanding in every direction, 
always ending somewhere 
and never ending at all.


Head to my other blog, Laughing On the Way Out, for more adventures.

6 comments:

Tabor said...

This is lovely, helps me become intrigued by your corner of the world and its history and I thank you.

molly said...

Imagination can take us further than trains, planes or automobiles. Love your descriptions. We used to travel on the Taconic Parkway from the OC's college in upstate NY to L.I. to visit his folks when we were first married and I was gullible....There was a road called Nine Partners Rd that he spun a completely fictional yarn about which I listened wide eyed to - until he started laughing....

Wisewebwoman said...

I've been through some of those places on my travels but now my feet are stilled too. I love your way with words, the gift of your song.

Thank you!

XO
WWW

Pauline said...

Tabor - it was written on one of my Sunday Morning Writes I do each week with a friend. She always comes up with some interesting challenges. This week: what if you started walking in the direction you can see out of your windows. Where would you go, what would you see?

Molly - I was trying to remember the Nine Partners Road, until I finished reading your comment :)

WWW - thank you.! And I didn't know you'd traveled through my neck of the woods!

Barbara said...

I can see you now, walking along, not missing a thing, ready for an adventure, just soaking it all up and appreciating it all. Thank you!

Pauline said...

Barbara - you do the same thing in your neck of the woods. Im a big fan of your "sweets."