Sunday, November 12, 2023

Returning Home

 


I look out the window at the familiar trees of my childhood, the great pines, the lone oak still holding its leathery brown leaves on this mid-November morning. I watch the light appear in the eastern sky over the brook, watch the fingers of sunlight touch first the top of the mountain – Mama’s mountain – and trace their way slowly down to color meadow and farmhouse, and finally the familiar road I now walk along every day. All my selves, my small self, my grammar school self, my teen self and the one I was in young adulthood, my middle-aged self, home for as many visits as I could fit in my busy schedule, my now elderly self who holds them all in memory, walk the road that leads from my childhood home to what we kids called “the Corner” a mile away, a gently hilled road winding its way past fields and woods and a few houses. 

 

I am more at home and at peace here than anywhere else I’ve ever lived, having formed an intense attachment to the place in early childhood. As a small girl, my perimeters extended to the farm on the hill, known to us as West’s Hill because a family of that name lived there, down the hill to encompass the nearest neighbor’s farm where lived an elderly couple we called Grandma and Grandpa though they were no relation at all, across the street to the Big Pine at the edge of another meadow, and past the brook to Mary’s house with whom I chose to play on occasion. She was younger than I, falling between my own age and that of my sisters, three years younger. My older brother, though busy with other pursuits, often consented to play games with his younger sisters. We played, too, with the West kids whose farm had a delightful hill for winter sledding and whose woods were filled with wild flowers and mushrooms in the spring, and a great barn filled with cows and a grain bin filled with corn, oats, and barley mixed with molasses. 

 

 To be nearly home again (my childhood home lies next door to the house where I am living now) is an unexpected gift. I wake each morning with a feeling of expectancy. I walk past Grandma and Grandpa Gordon’s house now renovated to suit its new owners, up West’s hill where a newer ranch house occupies the spot where the old two-story farmhouse once sat before it burned to the ground one cold December night, along the level spot that leads to the Macchi farm where we once boarded our cow, Cecile, and did farm chores in exchange, past the Name Rocks where people in the 1800s, and later we neighborhood children, carved our names and the date, along the edge of the long hay meadow that marked the beginning of the wooded area near the Corner, to the Corner itself where stands a favorite tree I’ve become attached to over the years. Here, too, are massive rocks that hold honeysuckle in the spring, and enormous trees that I recognize from 70 plus years ago. And as I turn for the walk home, I feel the same lift of spirits I felt as a small girl, as a young woman, as a middle-aged visitor. It is possible, in a wide sense, to go home again.

7 comments:

Tabor said...

I see photos of my old hometown on Facebook and it touches me strongly. Amazing how our early life attaches us like an umbilical cord to the area we were asvchildren. This is lovely.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. I remember your.childhood home and the West farm. Thanks for the memories.

Nancy Thompson said...

Lovely descriptions of your home and memories of growing up there.
I was in Sheffield in October and drove by your house on my way to Barnum Street and my old house and farm that has been sadly neglected. Beautiful countryside and mostly unchanged from our childhood.

Pauline said...

Thanks, Anonymous - more coming!

Hi Nancy, I drove by your place just the other day and thought of you. So much has changed and yet so much is familiar. It makes my heart happy to be back on my home street and surroundings.

molly said...


Beautiful. And such a nice surprise to find you here again! This makes me wonder about all the choices we make, not seeming so momentous at the time, that make our lives veer off in unexpected directions. I need to go home again but I think, though my heart is bound to that place, I might feel like a total stranger, so much has changed in the last fifty years.
I look forward to the 'more' you mentioned!

Pauline said...

Hey Molly! Glad to see you here again. I have been away from my home street for more than 20 years now. Coming back was a fortuitous turn of events for me, even though it meant leaving the home I'd made for myself in my little cottage. I've lost a lot and gained a lot - life has a funny way of balancing things. Hoping to start writing again on a regular basis. I have the time...

Pauline said...

Hi Tabor! Seeing your name here makes me feel as if I'm coming home to this blog as well. Thanks for reading and commenting. It's interesting how strong home connections can be for some of us.