Sunday, July 05, 2020

It's NOT Boring!


I don't know why some people claim that country living is quiet and boring. Take, for example, the other night. My friend and neighbor, J, and I were taking our regular evening walk that passes the dam at the north end of the pond. Water crashes over and pools in the rocks below before hurrying on its way downstream. We often stop to lean on the bridge railing to watch the great blue heron fish for its evening meal. It's noisy there so we stop on the edge of the one way bridge and check both ways for oncoming traffic before crossing, which is why we saw a large van approach the bridge and stop. The driver leaned out and pointed to the neighbor's lawn across the street where a large black mama bear was galloping, a wobbly black cub doing its best to keep up. They weren't more than 50 or so feet from where we stood.

"You know, they were right behind you," said the driver, "until I sort of nudged them off the road onto the lawn there."

Insert bug-eyed emoji here. J and I waited until the bears had disappeared into the woods before continuing on. Home again, we sat at my patio table to discuss the day when J looked out across the lawn and remarked, "Brian (her son) must have put his chickens in early."

"No," I corrected her. "He never let them out this morning. The door to the outside pen is gone."

"Gone?" she said. "Where is it?"

"I don't know," I remarked carelessly. "It's not my door."

She gave me a funny look, wondering why I was not as curious as she about where the door actually was, and when she left for home, went out past the chicken pen to see what had become of it. I heard her hoot. She came back a moment later, almost doubled over, gasping out that the door was not gone, as I had assumed, but merely pushed back against the wire fencing. The fact that I had not seen it nor been curious as to its whereabouts was the cause of great hilarity. I had to laugh with her, wondering out loud what else in my life I missed when it was right there in front of me had I bothered to be curious.

Not ten minutes later, while I was weeding the beets in the waning light, I heard my name being called across the yard. I looked about but could not see J anywhere. Finally she shouted, "I'm locked in the hen house! I need rescuing!"

It was my turn for hysterics. I chuckled and chortled as I hot-stepped it across her backyard to the hen house. Sure enough, the door with its simple hook and loop mechanism, was firmly latched.

"How did you do that?" I queried, as I lifted the latch and set her free. She looked chagrined.

"Well," she admitted, "I forgot to turn the hook aside as I usually do and when the door slammed behind me, I heard it fall." She was looking at the ground as she said this. She looked up and confessed, "It happened a couple of weeks ago, too, but I managed to get out the door at the other end of the house. But I've since locked that one."

"From the outside," she added.

On our way back to her house we wondered aloud how long she might have had to stay in the hen house had I not been outside and heard her hollering. We agreed it would be a good idea to check on each other daily. "And now," she said, "I'm going to bed before anything else can happen."

I haven't heard form her yet this morning. Excuse me while I go check.

4 comments:

molly said...

Good to see you here again Pauline! And with hilarious stories to boot.

I think rural living is a better fit for humans than being cooped up in tiny city apartments without access to trees and wildlife, though such ready access to bears as you have might give some people pause! A guy whose talks we've been listening to on you-tube argues that life in modern cities causes the feminization of men.
Neighbors can be great, but not if there are too many. I'm glad you have at least one so you can watch out for one another. I can't begin to imagine spending the night locked up with chickens clucking all around me. I wonder, if you were imprisoned there for long enough, would you find yourself laying an egg?

Tabor said...

Life does go on whether we notice it or not. YOu both have had some close calls this week. I hope you stay safe.

J C said...

I loved this! I wish I lived in the country. I have traffic noises and HOA soldiers. This made my day. I'll be back. :)

Pauline said...

Molly - good to see some folks still check here now and then. It's been a rough year with family illness, a rift over politics, and now this virus. The bear has been the least of my worries, lol. As for spending the night in the hen house - I imagine the bear would feature in that story, too, as it roams the property nightly, looking for a way in the coop to steal the feed.

Hi Tabor - yes, adventure is never far away. :)

Hello JC - hope I can get something new up sooner than 6 months! Always enjoy meeting a new reader :)