Sunday, November 03, 2019

Reincarnation


I think, said a friend once,
that you were a tree in a former life.

That would explain my deep love of the out-of-doors,
my longing for roots and an inordinate love of homeplace,

my penchant for being a watcher, a witness,
rather than a willing participant in human endeavors.

What sort of tree he didn’t specify.
A pine perhaps? I’ve always admired pine trees

with their towering, pitch-knobbed branches,
their prolific and diverse cones,

their forest-green needles that turn a faded orangey-brown at death,
a different shade of beauty.

I doubt he meant an oak — too mighty and steadfast and regal in bearing,
too impenetrable and strong, treasured for its sterling qualities.

He could have meant a redwood, but my human self is drawn to them in such astonishment
that I can’t imagine being invited to join their ranks.

Perhaps he was thinking of the birch, a water lover, compatible with my Zodiac sign, recognizable for its elegant bark, its pliancy, its delicate greenery,
though I’ve always felt, were I ever to be a tree, I’d be a willow, the weeping kind
that likes its toes buried in the damp earth and its head in the clouds,

a mothering being that bends and sways and waltzes in the wind, whose immense green arms
offer secret hiding places for birds and other small creatures, and children with books.

If I believed in reincarnation, I would believe I’ve been a weeping willow tree,
a habitat, a host, provider of shade and safety, my toes holding the erodible earth,

my leaves breathing, my body a nurturing source of shelter and warmth. This time around,
I think I am simply a mother incarnate.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I think we were stardust and then became trees and then human life.

Wisewebwoman said...

You put me in mind of something I wrote about trees:
https://wisewebwoman.blogspot.com/2018/07/vox-arboribus-voice-of-trees.html

I love your post.

XO
WWW

Pauline said...

Tabor - you could be right.

WWW - loved your poem about the pine. I've always loved them. There was an enormous one that grew beside my childhood home. When the wind blew, the tree danced and whispered secrets. I loved sitting under it in the summer watching the sunlight play among the needles.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

I love trees. They are the other side of us, helping the planet to breathe in and breathe out. There is a wonderful link , Brainpickings,' that has a great post about trees right now:

https://www.brainpickings.org/2019/11/13/robert-macfarlane-underland-tree-love/ (You'll have to copy and past it into google or your search engine, as blogger won't take you there. But it's worth the visit.)

You can also subscribe to their newsletter. It's a world of rich insights into poetry, spirituality, nature, philosophy . . .