Monday, September 09, 2019

A Little Taste of Heaven




My two young granddaughters and I travelled to Pennsylvania this summer with my daughter who was doing research at Bucknell University. We stayed at a wonderful farm B&B in Lancaster County. Tucked away among vast acres of corn, the farm was a haven from the bustle of Lewisburg. We were free to roam the barns and yard, to peek at the newborn kittens and, when the chore bell rang after breakfast, to help feed the animals before taking a wagon ride tour of the neighboring farms. When we were introduced to her dad, Jim, and later to her mom, Mim, our host Jodi asked if any of us had ever stayed on a farm before. I confessed that I’d grown up doing chores at a dairy farm, had once milked cows, helped put the hay in and had even driven a tractor. My dad raised chickens when I was a child, and when I was in my forties, my own family homesteaded in Vermont, raising pigs and chickens, and growing a huge vegetable garden for home consumption. For the rest of our stay, I was known as “the farm lady.”






If you appreciate hospitality without undue hovering; if you love the sound of locusts buzzing, of murmuring chickens, and the bleat of goats and baas of sheep; if you’re delighted with barn cats who butt your outstretched hand with their warm heads, begging for a pat; if you can hear the whispered secrets of a million corn leaves in the breeze or lose yourself in the silence of a sunset; if swooping barn swallows and cleanly swept barnyards delight you, if rockers on the porch whisper your name; if baked oatmeal with blueberries, chocolate chip pancakes, melt-in-your-mouth egg dishes with ham or spinach, and crispy breakfast potatoes sound delicious; if an immaculate room, a comfortable bed, and air filled with the scent of roses appeals to you, you might want to book a spot at The Country Log House Farm B&B (https://www.countryloghouse.com/). Tell them the farm lady sent you.






8 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh that sounds so restful and delightful all at once.

You granddaughters will have such memories of this.

XO
WWW

Pauline said...

WWW - they did not want to leave. "If we didn't already have a house, I'd move here and live forever!" declared the oldest. "Me, too," said the youngest, "only I'd have a horse!" She thought that was the only thing the place lacked :)

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh, you just described me! I wish this was closer, but I'm saving it and would love to visit one day. What wonderful memories you created for your granddaughters to stash away.

Pauline said...

It's a beautiful spot for sure and the people that own and run the B&B couldn't have been nicer.

Diane said...

Sounds like heaven. And your grandbabies are gorgeous!! xo

Pauline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pauline said...

Diane - it was a lovely spot. I love that my granddaughters love nature and animals as much as I do :)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Why a wonderful time you had, from these photos. And what great photos. You can feel the rhythm of life in them.