Friday, October 19, 2012

Rainy Day Thoughts

I met a woman the other day who was wealthy beyond even my dreams. Her house is exquisite, her possessions numerous and lovely, every one. Between them, she and her husband have several cars, a townhouse in the city besides their mini-mansion here, closets full of expensive clothing, travel stickers on their luggage from exotic places and, when needed, maid service. She has a few weeks left to live.

I drove past her house today in my 13 year old car. I was wearing slacks and a sweater from a second hand shop, sipping tea from a worn travel mug, wearing shoes I've had for years, watching the orange and yellow leaves spin through the rain, and realizing just how rich I am as well. And happy. And grateful. All her beautiful possessions that I thought, briefly, to envy will be just things to dispose of in a few weeks. She has not seen her estranged children in years; I miss the Bean's presence while she's napping!

I learned the ten commandments years ago in another life lived as a practicing catholic. 'Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods' makes sense when comparing one's life with another. That poor woman has nothing I want.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So much wisdom in this, Pauline. I think there are some wealthy people who do realize what's important in life, but I'm afraid it would distract me, so I give thanks I'm not wealthy.

Brian Miller said...

def wealth is where we find it...and having all that many times i bet gets in the way more than helps...

molly said...

This reminds me of something I read somewhere-----"The best things in life are not things....."

molly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerry said...

So right. You are rich beyond compare. And I am too.

Hilary said...

Oh how perspective is everything.