Sunday, October 14, 2012

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Early morning sky
Yesterday the temperature at 6 o'clock in the morning was a crisp 29 degrees. The sky above the horizon was pale, pale blue which deepened to azure as the day progressed. Leaves spiraled and whirled and danced on the breeze, falling like rainbow bits onto the grass. I spent a restful day behind the cottage untangling and cutting bittersweet vines from the trees that remained after this summer's culling. I dragged my old dreaming bench from it's hiding place in the upper trees and set it in the sunshine overlooking the yard. Next spring I shall plant tomatoes and squash in the tilled patch behind the rhubarb. I gathered what the frost left of the delicate pink fairy roses and the brilliant orange marigolds and put them on the window sill. They are wee bits of summer sun against today's rain spattered windows.

Last of the summer flowers
Early this morning raggedy gray clouds marched along the horizon and the trees lashed against a wet sky, their branches tossed back and forth by a strangely warm wind. The lamps are lit in the cottage and household chores wait patiently for me to tackle them. At Daughter's house I dash about, following the Bean as she patters around the house. I wash  piles of dishes, climb up stairs and down with loads of laundry, cook meals, read picture books, play games of make-believe, cuddle and feed the new baby, and relish every minute of my time there with my happy little family.

Baby Lili
There I am a younger, more active version of my older self. Here at the cottage my pace slows. I'm loathe to break the silence with the roar of the vacuum, unwilling to move quickly to get the dusting and washing done, happy just to sit and read a book or write or watch a film. I nap when the urge strikes, sometimes in the sunshine, sometimes under the quilt. I can feel myself unwinding and recharging. As painting is a quiet activity, I'm off to put a coat of fresh white enamel on the old metal shower and on the little metal cabinet my landlord found languishing on the side of the road. That should keep me busy until nap time.



11 comments:

Brian Miller said...

it sounds like a wonderful pace actually....and good on you for dragging the bench into the sun....its in the 50s right now but was in the 30s when i awoke....the back porch is getting a bit brisk for my morning coffee....might need to start bringing my blanket...ha..

molly said...

Sounds like you have the best of both worlds in your life right now!

Steve Reed said...

Sounds like a great way to spend a day!

J Cosmo Newbery said...

Nice ranch!

June said...

We had the same Sunday weather, I think. Did it turn nice in your afternoon?
It must feel good to be so needed and useful at your daughter's and it must feel divine to get home and putter around at your own pace.

Pauline said...

Brian - it is a wonderful place, private, peaceful and easy to take care of.

Molly, except for the fatigue at the end of the week, it is!

Steve - the best thing about being retired is that the days are all great :)

JCN - it is!

June - the morning was chilly and damp, the afternoon sunny and warm. I painted the shower and then spent the remainder of the day puddling about out of doors. It's still mild today (Monday) so I have the door and windows open to alleviate that awful paint smell.

Out on the prairie said...

Sounds like your life is on a very nice roll.

Pauline said...

OOTP - oh, it is!

Anonymous said...

A perfect balance of busy-ness and rest. And you describe it all beautifully!

Hilary said...

What a perfectly delicious way to spend the day. The flower photo is so easy on the eyes and the image of you with that sweet, little beauty is a gem.

Judith said...

It's wonderful that you have the new baby and the toddler for excitement and activity ---
but I'm awfully glad for you that you also have the ranch ---