Saturday, July 07, 2012

Summer Notes

Sunrise over the pond.

It has been a time of littles, of sunrise walks, goslings on the pond, spiderweb-caught dew: of endings - the end of school, the end of the 6 a.m. alarm clock - and beginnings: the beginning of summer, the first spinach and lettuce from the garden, the first succulent asparagus spears, the first days of bicycling in the early morning before the day's heat builds and again in the evening when it begins to wane.

It has been a time of bigs - my youngest daughter's wedding, the announcement of another grandchild due in September, my own retirement after eight years at the local elementary school and thirty-odd years in various school systems, too-short visits from loved ones who make the trip east from the Oregon coast just once every few years.

There have been days of drought and hot humid afternoons that suggest storms that seldom materialize. Over other parts of the country thunderheads pile up, bruised and purple, collide and burst, bringing high winds and hail and torrential downpours, and thunder that does not stop, lightning that sets fires. Here we must water our gardens and hope they produce. My little patio garden is thriving but the farm garden has wilted under days of punishing heat.

I am dazed and tired and ready for summer with its somnolent days and fan-brushed nights. I will let the birds wake me far earlier than any alarm clock ever did but much more naturally, let the fact that I'm retired sink in, let others make plans while I nap in the long afternoons, and come here to read up on all of you now and then.

10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

smiles...sounds like you are enjoying the summer with your bigs and littles...ugh on the garden wilting...the heat is merciless here...over 100 for 8 straight days....

Pauline said...

Brian - Just popped over to read your poems and had to chuckle - even when your brain is heated past comfort levels you produce astounding sentences!

Gillian Olson said...

I like the ideas of little and big events, congratulations on retirement, relax and enjoy.

Out on the prairie said...

When we have a heat wave, the break of sun is best to tend to outdoor activities.

Brian Hayes said...

A launch of life in "a time of bigs"... that's a good omen :-)

Gary said...

Littles and bigs in balance - well perhaps more littles than bigs are better - it sounds like a wonderful summer and a nice outlook.

I am psyched to think I have almost two months of littles.

Kerry said...

I am taking the same deep breath that you are taking. Let's hold hands and jump in at the same time.

Pauline said...

Thanks, Gillian. I'm loving being lazy for the time being but my project list is growing!

I agree OOTP. I'm in doing indoor stuff when the heat is too intense and out doing outdoor stuff early and late.

Brian - it is! :)

Gary - I'll live school vicariously through you next year.

Kerry - let's! We'll have to compare notes as we go along this new path!

Hilary said...

It sounds like this is a summer you'll always remember. I suspect you enjoy the heck out of every season, every year though. Happy Summer, Pauline. :)

Barbara said...

Love your 'littles' - the stuff that life is made of. And smiles, as well. Enjoy your summer!!