Saturday, February 13, 2010

Out of the mouths...

I made Valentines for my two grandchildren early in the week and sent them off in the mail. I was on the phone with my son when the cards arrived. "Here," he told the two of them as they hovered near the phone. "Memere sent you cards."

I heard a rip, an exclamation, silence. Then the small voice of my six year old grandson. "This says I stole Memere's heart! I don't have her heart! I didn't steal it!" Then, with growing consternation, "Did I?"

He's big into policemen ("I'm a COP!" he announces as he approaches with plastic handcuffs. "You're under arrest!"). He loves the thrill of the chase and there's usually jail time involved in their big leather armchair. I thought he'd get a kick out of thinking he stole my heart. Apparently not.

"I'll let you go," I told my son. "And I'll let you explain." I hung up hastily.

I haven't spoken to them since Wednesday. I hope I don't have to do jail time on my next visit.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Marion said...

This post is so cute! What a sweetheart your grandson is, and how I hope the Valentine's card was explained to your grandson's satisfaction. I'll have to be careful about that very thing (stealing my heart) in future Valentine's cards. I can imagine my grandson being quite horrified over the whole thing, lol!

Paul said...

An honest cop...

Jo said...

Be careful. You may be arrested for theft...! You have a cop in the family. :-)

Aren't grandchildren the greatest? My little "Phinnaeus" has a birthday on Monday. He missed being born on Valentine's Day by two hours.

Pauline said...

Marion, I'm still chuckling over the whole thing. Poor little guy. I forget how literal children can be.

He is, Paul. He's the dearest child!

Jo - I've been in the armchair jail many a time. Happy birthday to your little Valentine grand-tyke!

Barbara said...

Kids are so literal. You most definitely will have to do time, but the arrest will be by the nicest cop you will ever meet!