Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Home Again

My grandson saying farewell to summer...

Coming back from vacation is never as much fun as heading off on one but there is a certain satisfaction in returning home. My cottage welcomed me back with a last blossoming of fairy roses, the cat with purrs and leg weavings, and the garden with an over abundance of vegetables just waiting to be picked, pickled, packed in jars or simply eaten out of hand where I stood.

I've missed reading at my favorite sites but I haven't missed being indoors. Every day in Maine was spent on the beach or near the water or just out of doors lounging in a lawn chair. Lots of salt air, marvelous seafood, and the company of family made my time away worth every moment.

Ah, but it's good to be back in my own bed, in my own home, on my own time. School starts next week and with it comes the resurgence of the alarm clock and the hurry-up schedule and less outdoor time. I will spend the last few days jarring tomatoes, pickling cucumbers, and freezing eggplant. Between bouts with the canning pot, I will take long walks and longer bicycle rides, reveling in the freedom of the open road and the waning light.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Sounds like you had a great trip, but have no regrets about getting home again. You will love having those summer vegetables in jars on cold winter evenings I can be sure.

Welcome back!

molly said...

This took me back to summers in my childhood. A couple of weeks at the seaside, the rasp of sand between my toes, the grit in my hair, the red, peeling skin across my nose, how our street seemed to have shrunk when we came home from that endless strand and huge sky.........I wish I could live IN each moment now the way I did then!
Sweet photo...

meggie said...

Summer always meant the beach to us, as we lived so close to the sea.
Home can be such comfort!