Sunday, October 26, 2014

Quiet Thoughts


Now, when the leaves of deciduous trees are great splashes of color against faded blue, when the air at noon is still mild and hazy, when a few small birds still search the roadsides for seeds and great swirls of starlings paint designs in the evening sky, now is the moment to relax into the quiet,

If I had to choose just one thing to believe in, it would be change. No matter how slowly it comes, change is the one constant. I see it most clearly at this time of year when the leaves turn from working green to carnival colors before falling to sleep at a tree’s feet. There is mimicry in our human doings – those of us who watch nature match our feelings accordingly, slowing our activities and our thoughts so that we can get a good look at ourselves, at our bare bones of belief. Our own horizons widen.


Mostly we are human doings, not human beings. Frenetic activity suggests a purpose. The seasonal change from summer to fall puts us on notice that there is worth in slowing down, taking stock, using rest as a repair shop. We are reminded that we are individuals in a group, that we have our own shape and a singular reason for our existence.

9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

i agree with your thoughts on us being humans doing....we forget to be..and change surprises us even though all of nature tells its story...have a lovely autumn L

Mary said...

Definitely we are human doings. Sometimes we move fast and don't take time to notice things. Perfect time of year to do that. :)

Hilary said...

Beautiful, Pauline. So much in nature points us to reflect on our own comings and goings.. and restful period.

Kerry said...

This is a beautiful piece, Pauline. Change is often a difficult thing to face, but the natural world reminds one that the universe is a dynamic place. Change is constant.

RockTheWrinkle.com said...

Beautifully said. Change can be scary, but also the most liberating and amazing thing you can do sometimes. Fall is a great time to see how change gives way to new life a few months from now. Thank you for your words!

Tabor said...

Catchy phrase...human doings and not human beings. Yes change is endless and tiring at times.

Judith said...

What a welcome reminder, Pauline.
We are more, and other, than the sum of our actions. Winter is not my favorite season, but I guess its lesson to us is just that --- Imitate Me, Be, Not Do ---
A lesson I might do well to take to heart.

Pauline said...

Brian - autumn is blowing away on fierce winds but now we can see the bones of trees and earth - there isn't a season here in New England that I don't like.

Mary, thanks for stopping by to read and comment. Slowing down can be a good thing ;)

Hilary - that's how I feel, too - we reflect nature so often.

Kerry - as long as I can remain in tune with the dynamics, I'm good. It's when I resist change that I suffer.

RTW - thanks for reading and commenting. You're right - if we're open to it, change can be an amazing thing.

Tabor - it didn't originate with me but I like the meaning. I try to be both.

J - I try to take my cues from nature...

Pauline said...

Brian - autumn is blowing away on fierce winds but now we can see the bones of trees and earth - there isn't a season here in New England that I don't like.

Mary, thanks for stopping by to read and comment. Slowing down can be a good thing ;)

Hilary - that's how I feel, too - we reflect nature so often.

Kerry - as long as I can remain in tune with the dynamics, I'm good. It's when I resist change that I suffer.

RTW - thanks for reading and commenting. You're right - if we're open to it, change can be an amazing thing.

Tabor - it didn't originate with me but I like the meaning. I try to be both.

J - I try to take my cues from nature...