Saturday, August 17, 2013

Keeping Watch


The sun set tonight in glorious shades of brilliant orange that rose higher and higher into a deep blue sky.


Gradually the orange deepened into great sweeps of scarlet and the world seemed to hold its breath


while everything - tree trunks, grass, late blooming flowers - took on a rosy hue.


Then slowly, slowly, the pink faded as though a curtain was being pulled across the sky.


All color was lost then. Green leaves became black silhouettes, yellow blossoms became solid, dark clumps, the lawn was one vast shadow. Now the black, which encompasses both earth and sky, is pierced through with tiny pinpricks of light too far away to see by.



High in the southeastern sky a half moon rides. All is not lost, then. Luna will keep watch through the night while we sleep.




5 comments:

My Maine Blog said...

So, so beautiful Pauline. Sunrise and Sunset are my two favorite parts of the day and I always, always, always, look to the sky every morning and every night to try and capture sights just like you have and that are so breathtaking. Thank you for sharing these beautiful sky shots.

Hilary said...

A wonderful sky. And the beauty of it is a new one every night.

Brian Miller said...

sleep well under luna's eye....
dont you love when the world is in that rosy glow...its like magic...

Friko said...

I have a vision of you sitting outside and waiting for nature to provide you with a grand show until the curtain of night falls and you have to get up and leave the theatre.

Pauline said...

My Maine Blog - thanks for coming by. My photos don't hold a candle to yours but oh yes! love sunrises and sunsets best!

Hilary - one need never get bored out of doors!

Brian - it makes me hold my own breath!

Friko - I was on my little wooden swing to watch this one. Sometimes I must move -walk, swing -because it is all too beautiful to sit still for!