Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Retirement, Phase II

Crepes and berries to start the day...


I did something today I have not done since I was in my teens - I slept past 8 a.m. I did wake at my customary hour of 5:45 but it was storming out and I let myself sink back down into sleep and curious dreams. When I finally opened my eyes again, the sun was shining. I stretched, looked at the clock, and did a double take. The hour made me think of my mother who, after the last of us left home, took to sleeping in. When I remarked on the late hour she rose, she shrugged and said, "I'm simply catching up on twenty five years of missed sleep!"

Yesterday I worked on the Bean's Christmas gift. I've spruced up a rescued wooden cradle with decoupage art and some handmade bedding. All that's left is to piece the miniature quilt together and make a pillow.  I'm waiting until I have a few more sewing projects ready before I haul the machine out.

There were some holes in the back of the headboard that are hidden away now.
There's lots of garden work to do but I am waiting for the heat to break. The sky looks like a watercolor wash. Great gray clouds are piled on top of one another, each one threatening rain or thunder or both. Once this stray storm has cleared, the day promises to be less humid. The intense heat has rendered me useless. I've done no painting since the kitchen cupboards, not because there's nothing left to paint (heaven help me, there's the entire cottage interior!) but because I could not summon the energy to do the required prep work.

Phlox and lilies and roses, oh my!
My patio garden is blooming furiously. Every day a few more cherry tomatoes ripen. I've eaten the first cucumber and the first green pepper. There may not be enough produce to put up for the coming winter - this garden is far smaller than the one I planted at the farm - but there's enough to share with the neighbors. Next year I will plan more carefully; an article in Organic Gardening shows how to plant in a small plot for a large yield.

Cukes and tomatoes, potatoes and beans, peppers and swiss chard make plenty of green!
The summer is slipping by so quickly. It still has not sunk in that come September I will not be back in the classroom. I'll be here instead with a paintbrush in my hand and a smile on my face.


10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

smiles...good job on sleeping in...and i know that first september was the eye opening for my mom who retired from the school system several years back...cool on the garden too...and sharing with neighbors...i love fresh veggies...

June said...

An Eloise Wilkin illustration at the head of the crib! Lovely!

Kerry said...

Sleeping until 8 is not a bad habit! I plan to do more of this. As you point out it, is too sticky to think about doing stuff anyway.

Your flowers and veggies look fantastic!

Eleni said...

I say that waking up before 9AM is un-Godly! Eh! Eh! :-)

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

No , you're right ! While everyone's on holiday , I'm finding it difficult to believe that I've just retired as well . Come Sepember , I'll be smiling , too .... maybe even with a paintbrush or two in the offing .
Aren't we fortunate !

Anonymous said...

I managed 7 hours the other night, which shook me greatly! Normally it's 5 - 6. And sleep lessens with ageing!

Joanna Jenkins said...

Sleeping in.... I love evening thinking about it. Sadly, I rarely able to sleep late anymore.

Your garden is absolutely gorgeous!!! YOu definitely have a green thumb and are crafty too. The cradle is lovely.

Enjoy retirement!!!
xo jj

Steve Reed said...

I could stand to learn more about growing in a small plot. We planted tomatoes in a small planter, but they seem to be too densely planted -- and now they're turning yellow. I hope we at least get some tomatoes before they die!

Judith said...

The cradle will be a sensation under the Christmas tree ---
And the garden is a sensation right now.

Hilary said...

You have so many interesting projects to keep you busy.. how could you sleep in? ;) I hope you keep on enjoying your retirement days, Pauline. You've earned them.