Sunday, November 20, 2011

Bits and Pieces

New vegetable bed at far end of patio
Following a couple of chilly, rainy days the sunshine and warm temperatures lured me out of doors. I had morning tea on the patio and afternoon tea on my outdoor swing. Between those cups, I dug three new garden beds, hauled boards and stakes and mulching hay in my little Garden Way cart, and put away all the bits of decoration that make the patio such an appealing place all summer.

Little red counter top, soon to be green
French country curtains with red accents
The cottage is getting an overhaul, too. My tiny kitchen will get a gradual color makeover. The red linoleum counter top will soon be replaced with a one piece laminate in gray green. New gray green curtains will replace the French country print doing present duty. A lacquered red basket that sits atop the fridge and holds dry goods has been painted green. It's exciting to watch my little place take on a new persona. Funny - red is one of my least favorite colors yet I've lived companionably with my little red countertop for ten years. Any nearby red accent popped out - the dry goods basket, the red vinegar bottle on the windowsill, the curtain borders and the red cardinal sun catcher. When I set the new green countertop over it to test the color, every green accent caught my eye. And green is my favorite color.

Once red dry goods basket
 When all the work was finished, I sat in the pale November sunshine to drink my late afternoon tea. There is great satisfaction in accomplishing tasks that make life more pleasant. Come spring, I will plant vegetables and herbs in my new garden beds. By that time, my cottage should be painted and I will be enjoying a new ambiance. Sounds like a great way to start my new retired lifestyle.

My summer outdoor room will be one of my retirement hangouts

13 comments:

Judith said...

You ought to consider coming to N'hampton, we're such a GREEN community!

molly said...

You're not teaching this year? How did I miss that? Morning cup of tea, afternoon cup of tea...Your cottage sounds like a place I could feel quite at home! Red or green wouldn't matter to me....I like both, but asked to choose I usually go for blue.

Pauline said...

J - I'm going green here in my own corner :)

Molly - I'm approaching retirement. June 30th is the big day. All this has been accomplished on a weekend. There will still be plenty of blue in my cottage. Come on north and visit! I'll put the kettle on.

steven said...

pauline - you lovely person!!! i love the sudden awareness of colour that comes with changing it in our homes. you're having fun with it too. cool. steven

Brian Miller said...

smiles...sounds like you had a rather lovely day...and cool on the makeover...it always feels so fresh when we change some place we spend signifigant time...

Steve Reed said...

A little bit of redecoration always lifts the spirit!

Barbara said...

You got so much accomplished! You've inspired me to get busy...

Pauline said...

Steven - it's amazing what a change in color does for a room!

Brian M - I did get a lot accomplished and it felt good!

Steve R - it does indeed :)

barbara - I'm attributing it to the Vim & Vigor tonic I've been taking ;)

Out on the prairie said...

Always fun to have new. I am slowly doing it a little at a time.

Brian Hayes said...

Vim-N-Vigor Tonic?!

You won't be retiring. You'll be bottling cases for your followers. :-)

dibs, dibs, hear me, dibs

Pauline said...

OOTP - I'm doing my cottage over in stages, too. Works better for my budget and my back!

Brian H - you can make V&V in your own kitchen. Use my Memere's recipe - 2 T cider vinegar, 2T warm water, 1 T pure maple syrup. Stir, and swig daily!

Hilary said...

And here, I thought I was the only one who doesn't care for red.. especially in decorating. The green will look wonderful.. an earthy colour.

herhimnbryn said...

Getting all the work dne and then sitting down to admire it all witha cup of tea, sounds perfect to me.