Saturday, December 05, 2009

Waiting for Snow


There was no visible sunrise this morning, just a lightening of the sky above an army of threatening clouds marching solemnly along the horizon. Small birds fly before a heightened wind, zig-zagging from fence post to tree branch to bird feeder. In the strange half-dawn light, tree branches become arthritic fingers trying to snag the flapping crows that cut a razor-winged path through the morning sky.

On the other side of the window, lamplight makes soft shadows in the corners of the room. The teakettle sputters and hisses, the grey cat curls up in the rocking chair to sleep, the leaves of the geranium plant in the window lean toward the pane, seeking the pale light, waiting on the promised snow.

*note: the season's first snow started falling at 3:00 PM

9 comments:

herhimnbryn said...

You are using your 'word camera' again! This sounds cosy, restful.

steven said...

pauline, your text-painting closely mirrors what i experienced last week. throw in sheets of cold rain and you're as good as here. very lovely! steven

Rosaria Williams said...

What beautiful prose! Thanks for visiting me, Pauline.

TomCat said...

It may snow here too, a rare event in Portland, but your scene has far more beauty.

Flea said...

I wish I can experience that one day, seeing the first snow fall.
Your discriptions gave me the wonderful feeling of anticipation for the first flakes to fall and the cozy feeling inside your home.
Awesome. X

molly said...

What a cozy picture you paint! If I were there I'd commandeer the rocking chair [but I'd let the cat curl up in my lap!] My only requirement would be three layers of woolen socks and some fleece slippers....oh, and a hot water bottle at my feet, and a few woolen shawls wrapped around me, and a roaring fire in front of me......Brrrr, maybe I wouldn't survive! Fl has made a wimp out of me! Stay warm Pauline!

Barbara said...

Ours was more like slush that left a white residue, not one of those nice snows! Sometimes I wish I could just hibernate through winter. Although it can be pretty from inside, I really don't relish the cold and wet.

Ruth L.~ said...

So beautifully said! I feel the cozy lamplight. Each time of year offers its special characteristics... along with the quirks. The top picture captures the threat and the promise in its beauty.

Meggie said...

I never thought I would say,... "Oh to watch the snow again!"