Friday, August 07, 2009

Flying With the Moon

The full moon rose up through a feathery purple cloud at the same moment we lifted off the runway. You'd think the night sky a silent place and perhaps it is but the steady whonk whonk of the small engine filled the little cockpit, making talk nearly impossible. We resorted to a touch on the arm and a pointing finger. Look, look, there where the moon path is dancing on the water, or there where the lights of a town look like Christmas lights scattered by the hand of a giant. See where the road winds with its tiny cargo of cars, their headlights shining in the dark like radiating lines drawn in a cartoon. And there where beacon lights are flashing their warnings from steep mountain ridges.

Back on land, close to midnight, the moon rode high and distant, it's rising gold muted to silver. But oh, I rode the night sky with that moon. I spent time in its great, wide space, kin with the cold light that looked warm close up.

9 comments:

molly said...

I love watching the world in miniature whenever I fly...If possible, I always take a window seat. That bird's eye view never gets old. I can't understand how some people have no interest and do the crossword and don't look the whole time!

Sky said...

no matter how often we fly, the scenes you describe always make my heart flutter a bit faster. i strain to identify a tiny structure in a familiar city, thrill at another view of mt rainier's snowy reach toward the sky, or lean forward to glimpse a boat traveling across some body of water. whatever the view it is exciting every single time.

Barbara said...

Isn't it humbling to think it's that same moon that humanity has always seen in the sky. As we continue to screw things up down here, it just keeps rising and setting every day.

Ruth L.~ said...

How beautiful. the moon, the photo, your words. Your wonder. Being just a bit distant gives such a different perspective.

Reya Mellicker said...

Wow what a beautiful post. You know that moon was partially eclipsed when it rose the night before you rose on the wind. So no wonder it played with you. Very cool.

Pauline said...

Molly - I do the same when I fly commercial jets. This was a tiny two seater so I had no choice - windows all around but the view was spectacular!

Sky - so true. Flying with the moon in a tiny plane was amazing.

Barbara - somehow I thought it would look closer if I was in the sky with it...

Thank you Ruth. It took me a while to find the right words. Some experiences need new words...

Thanks Reya. I didn't want to come down out of the night sky...

JeannetteLS said...

The first time I flew I was fifteen and we flew into dawn. It was the first time it struck me that I live for the edges of things, and that there was an actual place in the sky where night met up with the day. And your description above that... we New Englanders get to experience so many of those extremes, so very close to the bone. Beautiful entries, as ALWAYS, Pauline. Sometimes it quite simply heals my heart to read some of the blogs here--yours is right up there for me. Thank you.

Pauline said...

Jeannette - living for the edges of things - such an interesting way to put it, that urge to explore. I'm glad you enjoy reading here. Thanks for stopping by.

Meggie said...

Oh how I love to fly. I felt very intimidated but somehow also elated, the first time I flew in a small plane, aged around 10. A gift from my scarcely known father.